[Ksummit-2008-discuss] RFD: What Linus giveth the enterprise kernels taketh away.

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Mon Aug 4 14:52:28 PDT 2008

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:34:03 -0700
ebiederm at xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) wrote:

> For people using enterprise kernels the lag from development until
> release approximates 2 years, and probably a bit more.  For
> developments that need new kernel infrastructure this is painful, and
> it feels to me like it distorts the development ecosystem for people
> who have users who only run Enterprise kernels.
>
> Do other people see this as a problem?
>
> Is there something we can do about this?

Other people clearly see it as a problem; that's why this issue has
come up in a number of settings, including at last year's kernel
summit.  I think we would all like to see a solution, but I'm not sure
that the summit is the place to find it.  Of course, sometimes a gripe
session can be useful as a cathartic exercise...

I wonder if, instead, the right forum for this kind of discussion might
be the LF End User summit in October.  If we could bring together some
developers, distributors, and the users who are allegedly served by the
current enterprise distribution policies, there might be a possibility
of stumbling across a way to make things better for everybody
involved.  Maybe.

jon