[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Suggested Topic: Checkpoint/Restart design

Dave Hansen dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 1 14:44:36 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 15:55 -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> How does this relate to the many efforts that went before it (not just
> on linux, but on a lot of the old unixes plus the posix1003.1m standard
> that never materialised)?

I don't think it relates much more than we're trying to address the same
application needs.  I went back and looked at how IRIX went and did this
a couple of years ago (via some manpages on the web), but I don't think
it is really influencing how we're going forward at this point.

Every one of the existing Linux checkpoint/restart projects has had as
one of its goals to be as non-intrusive in the kernel as possible.  Most
have existed as loadable modules that implement device drivers and do
99% of their work with an ioctl().  We're trying not to relate to those
too closely. :)

The POSIX proposal (crd.lbl.gov/~jcduell/papers/LBNL-49659.pdf) looks
mostly reasonable, and this proposal would fit in well with what they've
described there.  With a quick scan through there, I don't see anything
that would be a show stopper.

-- Dave