[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Suggested Topic: Checkpoint/Restart design

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 1 10:19:50 PDT 2008

It may be getting late to propose agenda items, but this one could
be very short.  At the checkpoint/restart part of the containers
mini-summit at OLS, it was generally agreed that a mostly kernel-
orchestrated checkpoint and restart, using new system calls
sys_checkpoint() and sys_restart(), would be the best design and
most likely to be accepted upstream.  This is different from
what we've been saying the last few years, as we had thought we
would do as much in userspace as possible.

An example of a first patchset is at
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/containers/2008-July/012046.html

Such patches will hopefully hit lkml pretty soon so ksummit
discussion may not be necessary, but it would be easier to
accurately gauge the community reaction from a roomful of faces
than from one or two lkml posts which may or may not accurately
represent the general community.

thanks,
-serge