[KJ] create_proc_entry return code audit

Amol Lad amol at verismonetworks.com
Tue Sep 12 21:42:04 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm working on handling error return code for create_proc_entry.
Currently there are three ways the function is called
1. call create_proc_entry as a 'void' function
2. call create_proc_entry and directly use the return value without
checking if it's non-NULL
3. call create_proc_entry and check for non-NULL but do not throw any
warning message that create_proc_entry failed.

Method 3 is widely used followed by 1 and we have some cases for 2 also.

what do you folks suggest, we fix all three or only 1 & 2. I feel we
should fix 3 also and add a KERN_WARNING message for the same

Thanks