[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Tue May 24 17:29:59 PDT 2011

On Tue, 24 May 2011 13:23:11 -0400
Jeff Licquia <licquia at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On 05/24/2011 12:02 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 02:42:03PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >> Well, I certainly always had in mind creating /run/user, when we
> >> pushed for /run.
> >
> > Well, it certainly wasn't in *our* minds.
>
> Looking at it from a FHS perspective, it seems we have two proposals.
> /run itself isn't controversial, and though /run/user is, distros
> should be free to use it or not as long as $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR has some
> sane implementation.

i'd leave stuff for xdg right alone in this instance, unless its just a
'if you want a guide, look at xdg' like what was suggested for $HOME/
contents.

> So, we should specify /run in the FHS and leave /run/user as an
> implementation detail for the XDG spec.
>
> Does that sound about right?

Sounds about right to me. Just wondering if the bsd people have
something to say about it being a requirement.
thanks,
kk

(oh, seems someone did post. my bad :))

--