[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Tue May 24 16:05:59 PDT 2011

Hello,

Roger Leigh said on Tue, May 24, 2011 at 08:34:23PM +0100:
> > The problem is the shared namespace and the fact that things might end
> > up lurking around forever.
>
> The sticky bit is set on /tmp.  What's so hard about securely creating
> a session directory and setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR to point to that?  Once
> created, it will remain there, and accessible only to that user.  So
> long as automated cleanup of /tmp doesn't take out the directory
> (which would be utterly broken), I don't see what the problem is here
> unless there's part of the picture I'm missing.

I think I'm mostly in agreement with what you're saying. I have a
question concerning this previous point.

Why not use /var/tmp, which is described in the FHS as containing
"Temporary files preserved between system reboots", as there you are
sure that no other process will clean it as it could for /tmp.

(I prefer to precise looking at other remarks that it is really a candid
question ;-)
Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com