[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Tue May 24 13:56:18 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 09:58:36PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Roger Leigh
>
> | If you would care to explain exactly why /tmp is unsuitable in detail,
> | to correct any oversight on my part, that would be appreciated.
>
>   /tmp
>
>   The /tmp directory must be made available for programs that require
>   temporary files.
>
>   Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
>   preserved between invocations of the program.
>
> The latter part being quite important and makes it unsuitable for
> session data.

This tells us that preservation of files/directories is not
guaranteed between program /invocations/.  It does not tell us
anything about the guarantees /during/ program execution, which
is the bit that's important to us.

In the case of an X session such as gnome-session, the process will
run for the lifetime of the session.  In the absence of aggressive
cleaning, it's reasonable to expect the contents to be present for
the duration of the session.

Regards,
Roger

--