[fhs-discuss] My Confusion between GLib: enum GUserDirectory and XDG Base Spec: $XDG_DATA_DIRS

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:55:53 PDT 2011

(Still cc'ing the list.)

Lennart,

Thanks for your response!  That prompts some additional questions or
comments:

   * So, if I want to separate what I call my real user data (which in
terms of the definitions in GLib, would be the files that I'd put in
the "members" of the GUserDirectory enum), from all the other garbage
that ends up in $HOME, the way to do that would be to have all the
directories like   G_USER_DIRECTORY_DESKTOP,
G_USER_DIRECTORY_DOCUMENTS, ... in $HOME, and then set
things like $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, $XDG_CACHE_HOME, $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, and
$XDG_DATA_HOME to locations not in $HOME?

   * At least partially at my instigation, it is intended (there is a
bug filed) that FHS 3.0 will include a reference to the XDG Base
Directory Specification in the /home section.  I'm not sure that is
sufficient anymore.  I'm thinking that there should be some reference
to the directories in the GUserDirectory enum.  What do you think?

   * What does XDG stand for?  (Has it changed since its inception?)

   * Comment--now I see from that GLib document on Miscellaneous Utility
Functions that it really is the intention that things like icons
customized for a particular user really are intended to go in
$XDG_DATA_HOME.  (Somehow, looking at the XDG Base Directory
Specification, and not being aware of the GLib: Miscellaneous Utility
Functions document nor the wiki document on Software/xdg-user-dirs, I
expected that my "real user" data would go in  $XDG_DATA_HOME (I mean
things like documents, photos, ...).

Randy Kramer