[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun May 22 13:35:20 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 09:51:12PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 18:29, Lennart Poettering
> > <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Look for XDG_RUNTIME_DIR.
> >
> > Purrrrrfect.
> >

> > What do you think about putting that into /run, then? Assuming /run
> > exists, that is.
>
> Yes, that's where it is located by default.
>
> $ echo $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
> /run/user/lennart

Do we want to allow users to create files under /run, or reserve it
solely for system use?  Right now, on Debian, it's not user-writable,
with the exception of /run/lock (which can be a separate tmpfs mount,
and we're looking at adding a lock group like other distros use to make
this not globally writable) and /run/shm (which again is a separate
tmpfs).

What makes /tmp unsuitable for this purpose?  It's already possible
to securely create directories owned by the user there, and these
runtime files are, by definition, temporary.

The above scheme also looks like it only creates a single
directory per user; one may have multiple sessions, so I fail to see
how a temporary directory under /tmp or /tmp/user would be any worse
than /run.  Either may be a tmpfs; while having either on a tmpfs is
ideal, it's not something that may be relied upon.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh