[fhs-discuss] games/ as a separate directory

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Wed May 18 07:30:43 PDT 2011

On 05/17/2011 03:23 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 12:39:05PM -0400, Jeff Licquia wrote:
>> I agree; there's some ambiguity here.
>
> The wording can be improved, but I don't think it's ambiguous.  "optional"
> is used throughout the spec with the meaning "this is an optional component
> of the system, but if present, this is where the component should be
> located".

...followed by:

>> I don't think it's wrong to install games to /usr/bin (and the
>> specification definitely does not forbid it),
>
> Given the above understanding of "optional", I disagree.

...is interesting; it seems to neatly illustrate the imprecision of the
original wording.

I think a lot of the motivation for this change comes from the fact that
/usr/games and friends is pretty much universally ignored, and thus
doesn't seem to be very useful.

But we should be conservative in making changes at this stage, so I'm
inclined to agree that we should be deprecating and clarifying at this
stage, not dropping.
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org

Join us this year in celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Linux!
   Watch the "Story of Linux" here:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw
   See all of the 20th Anniversary activities here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th