[fhs-discuss] Merge FHS with BSD filesystem standard?

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Tue May 17 08:33:58 PDT 2011

Martin Baehr said on Tue, May 17, 2011 at 05:16:25PM +0200:

> i get the impression however that compared to the FHS these documents
> are much more descriptive and not prescriptive. they simply document the
> existing structure and don't set rules.

Do you think it could be worth to work on a compliance script ? I find a
standard without tool to support them less usefull.

I think it could help producers of OSes provide a result of compliance
of their system to the FHS x.y. Could even lead to a certification label.
Could also help showing the differences, that could then be discussed
for further versions of the FHS.

And the tool just reports results, but again doesn't force the system in
any way.

> yet i think for any decision made for the FHS, a look at the *BSD
> reality is worth to be taken into account.

Indeed.

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com