[fhs-discuss] Split home directory for each user into two parts

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Tue May 17 05:52:44 PDT 2011

Steve (and all),

Because I (one of the people who) proposed this, I would like to
respond.  I'm not quite ready at this time, or maybe, more accurately,
I have some questions--see below.

On Tuesday 17 May 2011 02:52:11 am Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 11:15:58PM -0400, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > Maybe more like this:
> >
> > "See also the XDG Base Directory specification (ref), which sets a
> > number of conventions intended to organize users' home directories.
> >  The XDG Base Directory specification is recommended, but not
> > mandated."
>
> I think it's reasonable to provide a reference to the XDG spec, but I
> object to making this a recommendation of the FHS.  First, because I
> think this is scope creep; if we're not actually going to define this
> as part of the FHS itself (and I don't think we should because it's
> not particularly "heirarchical"), then I don't think we should be
> pointing elsewhere to recommend it either.

In Chapter 1, of the FHS (Introduction), I don't see anything that
limits the scope to "hierarchical".  I do  see the following (quoting
from Chapter 1:

<quote>
Purpose

This standard enables:
   * Software to predict the location of installed files and
directories, and
   * Users to predict the location of installed files and directories.

The FHS document has a limited scope:
   * Local placement of local files is a local issue, so FHS does not
attempt to usurp system administrators.
   * FHS addresses issues where file placements need to be coordinated
between multiple parties such as local sites, distributions,
applications, documentation, etc.
</quote>

If someone would argue that /home relates to "local placement of local
files", I'd have a variety of responses, the first being that /home is
already addressed in the FHS.

> Second, because I think
> the XDG spec has done an inadequate job of addressing the migration
> concerns for the myriad existing applications and installations that
> use "legacy" dotfiles and dot dirs, and it's not at all recommendable
> that applications migrate to XDG dirs without a careful and very
> long-term transition.

I agree that the XDG Base Specification has little if anything with
respect to addressing migration concerns.

Well, except that I can envision a migration path--I don't see anything
that precludes a developer from starting to follow the XDG Base
Specification such that, sometime down the road, when enough
applications support it, it can be adopted.  I mean, the first step
seems to be the developers specifying things using the symbolic
names /locations (like $XDG_DATA_HOME) instead of specific locations
(like /home/<username>).

I guess I would ask you, what does having this as a recommendation do to
you (or Debian) that makes you want to object to it?  I'm guessing that
it may force you (or Debian) to do something (else, why would you
object)?

Hmm, I should check an assumption--something, maybe in one your other
posts, made me think that your objection has something to do with
Debian--maybe I need to ask you that?  (So, consider this to be asking
you. ;-)

I tried a little bit of googling to try to see what effect a
recommendation in a standard has on Debian, but didn't quickly find
anything.

I would like to see a migration in the direction as allowed in the XDG
Base Specification--specifically, to have the option to move various
classes of user specific data out of the /home directory.  The XDG
doesn't force that, it simply allows it (by allowing one to point
things like $XDG_DATA_HOME and such to locations outside of /home).

I don't know that the XDG Base Specification (nor the FHS) should try to
specify a migration plan.  As I see it, I hope that developers of
individual applications will start to support those options (like I
mentioned above), and sooner or later, most applications will support
them, or enough that I (and others with similar desires) can use them
to migrate some of their data out of /home with less pain.

More questions:
   * Does Debian already support or accept the XDG Base Specification?
   * <darn--I'm getting old--maybe more later>

regards,
Randy Kramer