[fhs-discuss] games/ as a separate directory

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Tue May 17 00:12:06 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:27:13AM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> there is an ongoing discussion on the cross-desktop game packaging
> list [1] about the need/sense of having special directories for games.
> Debian uses them, Fedora does not, not sure about the rest, yet.

> At the moment, we have two questions:

> 2) Is this section going to change? Some people within Debian don't
> see the use of maintaining this separation (any more).

I would note here that the aforementioned Debian developers don't seem to
have been so bothered by the current separation as to propose an amendment
to Debian policy overriding this part of the FHS.

Others in this thread have noted reasons why it's useful to keep a
separation (root security; backup policies).  I see no overriding reason to
change the FHS in this regard.