[fhs-discuss] minor issues

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Mon May 16 15:42:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 17:07 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> FHS 2.3 already states that the contents of /mnt is a local issue.  Therefore,
> nothing FHS complaint should rely on anything being anywhere inside /mnt.  Why
> make this stronger?
Because notable things (this CG stuff, IIRC) has already started to use
it.
And IMHO it was a good idea to put a big fat "only use this
manually/temporarily + exclamation mark" :)

> FUSE is an interesting case.  I think such "user filesystems" are not under the
> scope of the FHS, and where it mandates mkfs.* for an installed *subsystem* at
> present, that should be system-wide filesystem subsystem -- perhaps the text
> needs clarification.
That's what I've meant.
But IMHO it should also be possible to drop the requirement completely.
This is, as you've said below, rather distribution-internal.... and they
know for sure, that filesystems which they can boot from, need a fsck
during boot, etc.

> What filesystems are necessary to boot the system are largely dependent on
> local decision-making.  How can the FHS know whether you need ext3 or reiser4?
That's why I suggested,... drop this out of FHS.

I mean for many other POSIX programs it makes sense IMHO to require
presence in a specific directory (e.g. EITHER /bin OR /sbin/
OR /usr....) because they're likely to be reused by many general purpose
scripts.
But scripts that use fsck.* / mkfs.* are typically more specifc.

Cheers,
Chris.