[fhs-discuss] tighten the use and intention of the "/var" hierarchy

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Mon May 16 15:16:20 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 08:17 -0600, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> well, I can say if you use a package manager for your system (deb, rpm)
> you'll be unhappy if you don't back up its state and then have a
> problem, unless you intend to rebuild from scratch.  Probably better to
> think in terms of what parts of /var you *don't* need to back up.

While this is absolutely true,... it's typically not extremely important
data.
What I mean is: If you loose your package manager DB, you just have to
reinstall your system (which is some effort, but not impossible).
If you however loose your /var/lib/postgresql/data (or something like
that) you might be screwed.

Cheers,
Chris.