[fhs-discuss] tighten the use and intention of the "/var" hierarchy

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Mon May 16 04:21:09 PDT 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011 06:16:36 +0200, Martin Bähr
<mbaehr at email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 01:11:58AM +0000, Christoph Anton Mitterer
wrote:
>> > Data not related directly to a specific Unix user.
>> Don't agree with that,... as it would basically mean that /srv is
>> useless.
>
> not really, /srv is used for stuff that is accessible outside the
> machine.
Well but that's more or less just what I say, isn't it?
It's not bound / directly related to specific user on that machine as
Lennart suggests...

And all the stuff I gave as examples, postgresql, xmpp server, web
server... have their stuff in some form accessible from the world.

> of course, that raises the question of databases that are shared, but as
> an admin i am free to configure databases to have them use /srv too, so
> there is no problem.
Of course you're always free to use what you want,... but this doesn't
matter for us, as we want to give a standard / recommendation on which
places to use.

> i'd also put exported nfs home directories in /srv/home for example if
> those homedirectories are not used by local users. (like on our nfs
> server, users are not supposed to log into the server so their home
> directories are distinct not internal to the machine)
Absolutely!
Any you'll see, that this fits just perfectly there when using "my
definition":
- "served by a server" (I didn't explicitly mention point in the original
mail)
- home dirs are not dynamically generated
- precious
- not just internally used (with respect to the NFS server)
- not volatile/temporary (of course seen at a whole,.. single files my of
course be temporary,.. but that's the owner's - the user - business.

Cheers,
Chris