[fhs-discuss] games/ as a separate directory

Jon Dowland jon+fhs-discuss at dowland.me
Thu May 12 09:15:12 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:37:12AM -0400, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> I would advocate leaving the references in, but describing them as both
> optional and deprecated.  We can remove the references in a future version.

If the separate games directories are to go, then yes, please deprecate them in
this revision and remove them in the next one (as per Karl's current patch).

I haven't managed to find a statement of intent for this LHS revamp.  If the
intention is for the LHS to be lean, consistent and entirely rationalised; then
it might make sense to get rid of the games directories.  OTOH, if it is
designed to encapsulate current common practice, then it doesn't make sense to
get rid of them.

Previous rationale for the separation of games included:

 * games not being present in root's $PATH
 * backup strategies excluding game data

Impact of removing them could therefore include:

 * root inadvertently starting a game (low risk)
 * backups inadvertently picking up game data (mild risk)

I would also ask: where do people want to go with the FHS, super-long term?  Do
we want to get away from /usr? Do we want to start having more meaningful names
names (Apple-style /Applications, for example?) And in that context, is removing
contextually meaningful names like the games directories a step forwards or
backwards?

--
Jon Dowland