[fhs-discuss] static sharable files

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Tue May 10 14:10:44 PDT 2011

Karl Goetz said on Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:47:25AM +1000:

> > But all of the existing issues identified by having the separation
> > fail to address an even bigger issue: sharing /usr is entirely
> > incompatible with a modern package manager, and this has always been
> > the case.  See:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/01/msg00152.html
>
> Thanks for the references. Re-reading the posts I realise i'd already
> read them and it was good to be reminded about them.
> Given these (4) links and related discussion I can't think of any
> reason to keep /usr/ separate other then any issues embedded people
> might have with them merged. If it won't cause issues for embedded dev
> then I'd say we should merge /usr into / too.

I'm systematically separating /usr (and /var for what matters) on a
dedicated partition. Could be for the LVM non-LVM reason, the difference
of FS types, and having a FS which can be filled without putting at risk
the rest of the system, or broken separately.

Maybe old Unix habits, showing my age, but I never regretted to have done
so on the systems I'm managing.

I still think it's too early to decide to merge / and /usr in a standard
such as the FHS.

My 2 eurocents,
Bruno.
--