[fhs-discuss] Split home directory for each user into two parts

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Fri May 6 08:38:33 PDT 2011

On 05/06/2011 10:47 AM, Randy Kramer wrote:
> So, what do the initials XDG signify?  Is the scope of that spec
> intended to cover all of *nix (or maybe even wider than that), or is it
> something somehow aimed at just GUI programs using X?

Although XDG has a "desktop" focus, and is hosted at freedesktop.org,
the base dir spec doesn't have any desktop or X dependencies.  It only
seems to assume a UNIX system (references to specific directories like
/home and /etc, POSIX file permissions, and so on).

I wouldn't read too much into one application's interpretation of the
spec.  There's no rule requiring that icons not be user data, for example.

--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org

Join us this year in celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Linux!
   Watch the "Story of Linux" here:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw
   See all of the 20th Anniversary activities here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th