[fhs-discuss] Split home directory for each user into two parts

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Thu May 5 17:32:32 PDT 2011

On Thu, 5 May 2011 07:26:21 -0400
Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just going to state this without very much support at first.  I
> haven't looked in bugzilla to see if this is already there.
>
> I think it would help lots of people (obviously, myself) if the ~
> directory for each user was split into two parts.  (This could be
> done in a variety of ways, more below.)

I can see the benefit of splitting out various classes of data (eg
config/state/cache), but I'm not sure what problem entirely new
directories are trying to solve that a few top level . dirs in homes
wouldn't solve?

> The basic idea is to get rid of the hidden files.  One way or
> another, the hidden (often configuration) files  and the non-hidden
> files (often what I will call "real user data") files should be split
> into separate directories so that, for the most part, there is no
> longer a need to use hidden files.  (Still, hidden files may have
> uses--my objective isn't to get rid of hidden files per se, but to
> split the ~ directory.)

Freedesktop XDG people are moving lots of stuff in the home directory
around, including configs into .config, .local. perhaps you should have
a look at what they're doing there.
thanks,
kk

--