[fhs-discuss] [lsb-discuss] FHS 3.0 Draft 1

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Tue Aug 16 19:54:52 PDT 2011

Hello,

Jeff Licquia said on Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:25:55PM -0400:

> You can see it here:
>
> http://dev.linuxfoundation.org/~licquia/fhs-3.0-drafts/

After reading it I have some questions:

1/ shouldn't /usr/include be optional (production system may not need it
at all or are there some really mandatory include files needed on a
system that I'm not aware of ?)

2/ shoudn't there be a note to say that sharing /usr content may lead to
issues with package managers of Linux distributions ? (as exposed during
some previous discussions on the ML)

3/ Even if I understand the rationale, I find strange that the mail
spool isn't under /var/spool, and the Linux distro I use still place it
under that directory, having just a symlink in /var to it.

4/ On Linux systems, the kernel is more often located under /boot than /
in the distributions I'm using. maybe that should be at least noted as
an alternative in 6.1.1

5/ shouldn't there be a reference  to LANANA for major/minor # device
list (http://www.lanana.org/docs/device-list/ ) in 6.1.3 ?

6/ Maybe you should update the (c) date and content to add the LF ?

Thanks for the great job around this !
Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com