[Desktop_architects] Regarding GNOME usability (and the Linus, Schaller debate)

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Sat Feb 24 19:09:44 PST 2007

<quote who="Andrew Spott">

> 0) I put this on this list because here is where I read about the original
> discussion of Gnome usability, I wasn't aware of a gnome-usability list.
> Since I'm not sure where I would find this list, and I'm not entirely
> convinced that this doesn't belong on this list, I'm leaving it here, if
> more people complain, I'll kill it and restart it somewhere else.

This discussion has always been completely irrelevant on this list. Please
take it elsewhere.

> the gnome folks who turn down a feature because "thats too many options
> for the user to deal with, we don't want to confuse the new users,"

This is not an accurate summary of the choices we make. We are always taking
on new features, but we think extremely hard before taking on new "options".
They are *not* the same thing, and do not have similar value for users (new
or otherwise).

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

     "Beware the lollypop of mediocrity: Lick it once, and you'll suck
                          forever." - Brian Wilson