[Desktop_architects] Desktop_architects Digest, Vol 16, Issue 8

Constantinos P. Spiliakos c.spiliakos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 12:38:34 PST 2007

desktop_architects-request at lists.osdl.org wrote:
> I think Gnome people have this very strange dichotomy:
>  - "We have tons of config options.." (it's true, sometimes, just not
>    where I cared)
>  - "..but we hide them, because only experts should use them"
>
> and then they think that just because you're an expert in one thing, it
> means that you should know *Gnome* intimately.

I will personally agree with Linus on this one.  Being a user of KDE and
Gnome (with metacity and with beryl on various machines), the efficiency
of KDE to people who migrate from Windows to Linux is far better than
that of Gnome which in my humble opinion looks more like the Apple style
approach.  True, Gnome might be easy to learn, but then, so is KDE,
Gnome is quite archaic in some ways (nautilus for example) but quite
efficient in other ways (low memory usage).  But hey, guess what, we
have two great user interfaces and all of us can choose which one we
want to use.  Both KDE and Gnome have their pros and cons, and they will
always have them because there will always be people who like one or the
other, and if you want a broader example, take politics, there are
liberal and conservative parties.

Constantinos