[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Calum Benson Calum.Benson at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 21 04:57:44 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 20:24 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Would it be a bad idea to have a mode where you can't even do silly things
> like that by mistake? Keep the core menu entry fixed, for example? No
> doubt. When it comes to making a mess of it, my daughter is better at
> _creating_ the mess than she is at straightening the end result out.
>
> But does that mean that you shouldn't be able to configure things if you
> want? Hell no. It just means that _different_ users have different views
> of what "confusing" and "configurability" means.

GNOME has plenty of settings you can lock down to stop people getting
into a mess; if you maintain their machines, did you ever consider doing
any of this for their accounts?  If not, was it lack of an obvious way
to do so (during installation or elsewhere) that prevented you from
doing so, or some other reason?

Or perhaps lockdown stuff is too fine-grained for your scenario anyway,
in which case, would something more like OSX's "parental
controls" (sucky name) be more appropriate?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/family/

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum.benson at sun.com            GNOME Desktop Group