[Desktop_architects] Cross-platform summary

Otto Wyss otto.wyss at orpatec.ch
Thu Dec 29 11:22:44 PST 2005

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense to stay in this
group since everything I can say is said. But before I leave I want to
draw a summary about my participation:

- It seems I've utterly failed to achieve anything regarding fixing the
top inhibitor of the Linux desktop adoption. You aren't willing to
accept my suggestion but you also have no other suggestions. At least
the failure isn't total since some of you agree that cross-platform is
the way to go. Albeit I'm rather sceptical that this is enough to cause
any action.

- It seems I've failed to achieve anything regarding fixing the top
wished application e-mail. But I'm positive that the Thunderbird
developers eventually realize what I said about the important user
groups and I think they are able to make Thunderbird what it should be.
Besides they have enough suggestions within their own support forums.

- It seems I've successfully achieved that the importance of Wine for
large organizations during the transition time is recognized and it
seems that at least here an action is or will be taken.

I haven't been able to discuss any other important issues for the
success of the Linux desktop since it doesn't make sense as long as the
cross-platform issue isn't safely on track. You seem to underestimate
its importance and I seem unable to make you aware of it. Maybe it just
needs some time until this idea can sink in. Therefore I think it's best
for all of us if I leave now and let you work on what you think is best.

Good bye
O. Wyss

--
Application guidelines: http://wyoguide.sf.net/