[Desktop_architects] Most wanted Application: Email

Otto Wyss otto.wyss at orpatec.ch
Mon Dec 26 04:50:56 PST 2005

Mike Shaver wrote:

> On 23-Dec-05, at 2:42 PM, Otto Wyss wrote:
>
>> Anyway cross-platform is the way to go and will become the future
>> way to
>

> You don't need to tell me about cross-platform development.  I've
> been doing open source desktop apps for literally dozens of platforms
> (from OS/2 and VMS to OS X and GNOME to Windows and BeOS) from the
> same source tree for 7 years. And I haven't been "confronted by
> wyoGuide" yet, nor is it clear why I would be so confronted in the
> future, or why it would at all be relevant to me or my project.

Then you probably know how much resources this cross-platform
development the Mozilla Foundation costs. I don't know, I only read
sometimes that Mozilla tries to get yet another cooperation or
partnership to lower their resource consumption. I know I use less than
1% for my projects. Sure my projects are nowhere near the size of
Mozilla but don't you think it might be a good idea to check it out if
it's something useful for you?

> Assuming a "perfect" anything guarantees that the rest of the
> reasoning is of minimal interest to me, I must confess.

I think you haven't understand my message, I'll repeat it with other
words. Lets assume this perfect Thunderbird were created but doesn't fit
well into the OpenOffice layout, a mail library would allow them to
easily create a better fitting one. The question is now, do the
Thunderbird developers prefer to help the OpenOffice developers or not?

> Why would the mail-client developers care what we tell them?  (I
> mean, they might care a _little_ about what I tell them because I
> worked on a popular mail client for a while, but even then.)

I'm quite sure that many developers would really love to get _any_ input
how their projects can be improved. If you don't belong to this group
you are free to discard any imput. On the other side you should ask
yourself why the Linux Desktop Survey shows that many users don't
consider Thunderbird a useful mailer for them.

> Why POP3 and not IMAP, to share read/replied/etc. state?  And based
> on what did you decide that they are considering a smart phone which
> would use POP3?  I'm missing a lot of steps in the reasoning here.

Do you know what kind of mail access the users out in the world use? I
don't either, I just estimate the vast majority has no alternative than
POP3. If you don't trust this estimate, the Mozilla Foundation (or OSDL)
should make a survey which provides this numbers.

> [off-topic]
>
> You didn't send this to the list, but that's probably for the best; I
> don't think there's a real problem being described here well enough
> to warrant discussion of a solution by that group, and to be
> _perfectly_ frank it sounds more like a play to drum up interest in
> wyoGuide than something that will contribute meaningfully to the
> success of the Linux desktop.

Sorry I shouldn't have written this Off-Topic, I just thought someone
might be interested in my ideas how a mailer should look like. But they
don't belong here so simply forget it.

I've sent this message first only to you since this list doesn't have a
correct Reply-To set.

O. Wyss

--
Application guidelines: http://freshmeat.net/projects/wyoguide/