[Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Glynn Foster Glynn.Foster at Sun.COM
Wed Dec 14 14:58:38 PST 2005

Hey,

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 17:00 +0000, Mike Shaver wrote:
> Consider this an open invitation for someone to come forward with a
> proposal, plan, and patch for the Unix printing experience on Firefox.
> It's been an under-owned area, though I think at various times Marco
> Pesetti, Chrises Lahey Blizzard and Aillon, and even Jody (hi!) have
> poked their heads in.  The Sun guys use Xprint or something with their
> suite builds, but I don't think supporting Xprint well is a must-have.

I suspect that's the case only because there's no real other choices for
printing. We sat down a couple of weeks ago during an internal Solaris
desktop usability and performance summit, and printing was definitely
identified as one of the current failings of the desktop. Norm may be
able to fill in more about their discussions [I believe he's on the
list]. I'm pretty sure Sun is right behind on you this one.

Glynn