[Fwd: Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME (Summit mockups)]

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 14 04:01:51 PST 2005

Tomasz Janowitz wrote:

> Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME
> (Summit mockups)
> From:
> "Piotr R. Sidorowicz" <prsidoro at mavericsolutions.ca>
> Date:
> Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:15:46 -0500
> To:
> Tomasz Janowitz <logan77 at o2.pl>
>
> To:
> Tomasz Janowitz <logan77 at o2.pl>

> Hello,
>
> All are excellent points. What I would like to see is a sensible paper
> size selection, based on timezone settings perhaps. It is a safe bet
> that for US and Canada the default setting should be Letter, for Europe
> likely A4, etc. Yet any time I configure a printer the default is always A4.

FWIW, CUPS uses two strategies for choosing the default media size:

     1. If libpaper is available, use the size it reports.

     2. Otherwise, if the local is en, en_US, en_CA, or fr_CA, then
        use US Letter aka "na-letter" using the PWG's standard media
        naming conventions.

     3. If #1 and #2 don't pan out, use A4.

All of this can be implemented in a few dozen lines of code, so I'd
recommend just exposing a function for this in the GNOME print API.

Most Windows apps will use the current page size of the default
printer.  I'm not particularly fond of this approach, but it is
a valid option as well...