[Desktop_architects] Time for big changes?

Gerrit Huizenga gh at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 13 17:53:08 PST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:15:53 EST, Oswaldo Moreno wrote:
> Hello Linus,
>
> I am an instructor at a College, in Montreal, Canada. I teach Linux/UNIX
> and databases.
>
> I believe Linux should introduce big changes to the functionality of
> the filesystem and the desktop. Some changes could include known
> features such as compression capabilities and encryptability of files
> (and directories) -gzip and bzip2 do an excellent job on compressing,
> but would it be better to have the file with its original name, in a
> compressed state?  Other features could include Extended Attributes (as
> in OS/2), possibly improved. Being able to "embbed" text and other
> attributes within the attributes of the file would be great, and it
> would be a breeze to use with the graphical interfaces of Linux.
>
> I know you are a busy fellow, but if you have the time to read a 1-page
> report on some of my ideas I would be glad to put them together.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Oswaldo Moreno

Um, Linux *always* has big changes going on.  Specifically, it has
many large changes to enable features that people specifically have
a need for.  And, those features are implemented by people submitting
rationale and patches to the Linux kernel mailing list, not by emailing
Linux or a desktop mailing list directly.

I'd suggest you spend a little time looking through the linux-kernel
mailing list to see what of youar ideas may already be in progress and
how you could contribute to them directly with well justified, well
tested patches.

gerrit