[Desktop_architects] Different angles of attack

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 13:14:20 PST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:56, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Avoiding policy might be the best thing to do as a kernel developer, but as
> a desktop developer, all it means is that you're shirking the
> responsibility you have to your users.

can we please move this thread OFF this mailing list? it belongs on
gnome-usability or Linus' private mbox or whatever .. but not here.
statements like the one quoted above are just begging for this forum to
become a nest of ratholes where each project projects their unique position
on things as if it were gospel, leaving productive work by the wayside.

this is not the path to fixing the *open source desktop*, which is what we are
here for. in the context of this particular list and effort, i could care
less what GNOME, Linus or the pope thinks about the GNOME print dialog, file
dialog or window manager. i expect you to care the same amount about what i
think about KDE's comparable technologies.

unless of course you feel like X.org, ISV support, hardware driver issues,
bridging kernel facilities into the desktop (e.g. HAL, inotify, blah blah
blah), etc, etc... are so trivial we can waste time, good will and energy in
this forum on these discussions ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo