[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Mike Shaver shaver at mozilla.org
Tue Dec 13 06:12:43 PST 2005

On 13-Dec-05, at 2:02 AM, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Here's another one: "As the number of options approaches infinity, the
> number of users approaches 1."

Wait, do we really believe that's true?  Can someone point at a piece
of software that became less popular as it gained capabilities?

I used to believe that was the case, and google can probably find me
arguing that position, but I'm having a hard time justifying it on
the basis of actual experience, which is why I've backed away from it
in recent years.  I still have keys to the old place, though, if
someone can point me at a reason to go back.

"Usability" (that's a bad word now, I hear, but I don't have my
persona-experience-design cheat sheet at this desk, so bear with me)
is certainly an important issue in user satisfaction, but I have a
hard time convincing myself that it's a big issue in getting users to
try the damned thing in the first place.  I will stand atop the
tallest hill and shout that Firefox is more pleasant and productive
to use than IE, but I know that most people tried it and used it for
that first day because of _options_ like tabbed browsing and popup
blocking.

Mike