[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Gregory Raiz graiz at raizlabs.com
Mon Dec 12 19:14:45 PST 2005

Technical users often feel that a usable design can dumb down the interface.
If this is the case then it's a poor design. A good design will be easy for
a beginner and will also provide the tools, advanced buttons, options, right
click menus and settings to satisfy technical users.

The majority of end-users want a simple printer dialog. In fact most people
will just hit the Print button without changing any settings. These users
are not 'idiots' they just have better things to do then futz around with
printer settings. On the flip side I'm sure there are many pre-press
publishers who want to tweak and change every setting. The two design goals
do not have to be at odds with one another. A good design will satisfy both.

Thanks,
Greg Raiz
www.raizlabs.com
617.820.5206