[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Celeste (seele) Paul seele at obso1337.org
Mon Dec 12 18:14:50 PST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 20:46, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of
> Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
> use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
> since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Its really about finding a balance between functionality and simplicity. Too
much in one direction will create user problems one way or another.

> Please, just tell people to use KDE.

KDE has its own problems (mostly in the too-many-things-to-do department),
however when surveyed, most users (both *nix and Windows) functionality was
more important than ease-of-use (although eou was still highly rated).  How
long they stick with that application, however, is another story.  If its
annoying enough, theyll sacrifice functionality and look for something
simpler.  But if it has something they really want that no one else offers..

Its all about the zen.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
www.obso1337.org