[Desktop_architects] Portland: How to fix this situation

Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg Kay.Ramme at Sun.COM
Mon Dec 12 02:53:28 PST 2005

Otto Wyss wrote:

> The report also mentioned the most critical app is email.
> Unfortunately Thunderbird isn't good enough to give an average user a
> reason to switch from Outlook. And IMO for a power user like me ;-)
> it's even worse. You have to know that still 90% of all users have a
> POP3 account so all effort of

Do you have some (official) statistics backing this number? And, is
Outlook so much better in managing POP3?

> Thunderbird development should to squeeze everything out of it.
> Therefore it should be possible to synchronize messages with multiple
> computers (desktop, laptop, PDA, handy?) without loosing other
> features. I don't know if evolution or any other mailer is better.
>
> > A typical migration path IMHO looks like this:
> >  IE -> Firefox
> >  MS Office -> OpenOffice.org
> >  Outlook -> Thunderbird& Evolution?
> >  Windows -> Linux
> >
> It needs a master plan which lists the most important applications for
> this transition but it also

Who should own this?

> means that these applications have to become better than their
> Windows-Only counterparts. And it also means all these apps have to
> feel like they where from the same source, their GUI has to match the
> guidelines as I outlined in wyoGuide (http://wyoguide.sf.net). I know
> not everything is perfect in wyoGuide, of course I welcome any
> suggestion and corrections, just send them to
> "mailto:wyoguide-users at lists.sourceforge.net".

Even in the Windows world not all programs share the same Look&Feel. My
focus would be more on reducing the burden to actually do cross platform
development ...

> O. Wyss

Kay