[Desktop_architects] Re: Portland: How to fix this situation

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 11:00:57 PST 2005

On 12/9/05, Otto Wyss <otto.wyss at orpatec.ch> wrote:
> It needs a master plan which lists the most important applications for
> this transition but it also means that these applications have to become
> better than their Windows-Only counterparts. And it also means all these
> apps have to feel like they where from the same source, their GUI has to
> match the guidelines as I outlined in wyoGuide (http://wyoguide.sf.net).

wyoguide looks like marketing material for the wxwidgets toolkit.
I gather you mean to refer to
http://wyoguide.sourceforge.net/guidelines/content.html
which appears to be something like the GNOME or KDE Human Interface Guidelines
(http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/ ,
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/design/ui/ ) ?

Or are you trying to get people to switch to developing
apps using wxwidgets?
I agree with you that cross-platform development is the way
to go.  OSDL should try to encourage this.  However,
we shouldn't try to favor any particular toolkit.
- Dan

p.s.
It looks like you want to jump right in and show everybody The Way To Do Things,
which is great, but you'd do well at least on this mailing list
to limit yourself to fewer and shorter posts, lest you overwhelm us :-(

--
Why won't Johnny run Linux?  See http://kegel.com/linux/comfort