[Desktop_architects] Re: Portland: How to fix this situation

Gregory Raiz graiz at raizlabs.com
Sat Dec 10 08:14:39 PST 2005

While WINE is great for solving adoption blockers and moving applications to
Linux it will stay a moving target as new applications and games are
written. The shelf life for a game is just 6 months. By the time you get the
game tested and working the new one is already out.

Wine is a bridge that helps people move to Linux and I believe this bridge
should be available on most distributions (at least as an option).

I may sound like I'm beating the same drum but instead of trying to be good
at everything the Linux desktop should find its true target persona and be
truly great at that one thing.

Is the persona for Linux a business user or a gamer?
 The business user doesn't want an OS that lets their employees play games.
 The gamer doesn't want an OS that doesn't play games.
Whose problem do we want to solve? If you try to satisfy everyone you end up
satisfying no one.

Greg Raiz
www.raizlabs.com
617.820.5206