[Desktop_architects] Portland, a w(h)iney comment

Otto Wyss otto.wyss at orpatec.ch
Fri Dec 9 12:43:44 PST 2005

Otto Wyss wrote:
> >/ This discussion about "The Linux Desktop Integration Interface" is
/>

 > I have to confess that I was struck by this gap at our meeting
 > as well. Missing applications was the #1 bullet point
 > on the summary page of that report, and not running
 > Windows application was the #3 bullet point on the second
 > half of that summary page; I think it was clearly a
 > key issue, and yet it was not squarely addressed
 > (although helping ISVs is obviously a critical step).

IMO it's very important that this issues are addressed now since it
takes at least a year or so until any effect will be visible.

 > I find it further fascinating that no one displayed any interest
 > in the Wine Project during the Portland meetings.
 > Again, referring to the #1 bullet of the *user* survey,
 > missing applications included Photoshop, Quicken, AutoCAD,
 >and PageMaker.

I agree Wine is one possible way to bring applications to Linux, albeit
probably only for commercial SW. But than Wine should be as easy that
somebody could buy e.g. a Photoshop and just install it onto Linux/Wine.
I don't know if this is possible for the average user. Of course this is
different in a professional environment and there it makes a lot sense,
since there will be always some Windows-Only applications where Wine is
the only alternative.

O. Wyss

--
Application guidelines: http://freshmeat.net/projects/wyoguide/