[Desktop_architects] Presentation slides - with attached templates

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Dec 7 13:58:11 PST 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
>> On the other hand it also would be nice if cups based GUI printer dialogs
>> would offer a 'generic postscript printer' so that one could generate
>> plain postscript for printing to a file.
>

> I'm pretty sure that gnomeprint and kdeprint are capable of this
> already, however "plain" or "device-independent" PostScript isn't
> necessarily as useful as, say, PDF.

And PDF generation should better be done by the application or a locally
running library, like with the "File" -> "Export to PDF" of
OpenOffice.org. The user wants to have the PDF in his home directory,
for example were he also saves the original file of the application.
Then it is the best if the application or a utility running with the
user's ID does the PDF creation, instead of sending the job into a print
queue which runs as the "lp" user or even on another box and then one
has the difficulties to get the resulting PDF into the user's home
directory. In addition security requirements of a program which runs
with another UID as the caller are much higher.

    Till