[Fwd: Re: [Desktop_architects] Presentation slides - with attached templates]

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 7 10:22:42 PST 2005

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>>     2. Use the supplied APIs to get the available drivers and
>>        devices.  Right now each distro seems to be maintaining
>>        their own (insert your buzzword) database of printer
>>        drivers rather than asking CUPS for a list of printer
>>        drivers it knows about.  The result is that each GUI
>>        provides a different list of drivers/devices than the
>>        other or the CUPS web interface, which is confusing.
>>        Why do we want to confuse the user?!?
>>

> So we (distro printing maintainers) all should
>
> - Take care that all PPDs which manufacturers supply as free software
>   are part of the distro (I have included all from linuxprinting.org in
>   the foomatic-db package hoping that they slip into the distros
>   automatically then).
>
> - Pre-build the Foomatic PPDs with "foomatic-compiledb" and do not use
>   the XML database in production systems (consider the XML as source
>   code). Then the web interface and the GUI tools will expose exactly
>   the same model list. GUI tools can be simplified to use only one
>   method for obtaining model list (PPDs from CUPS).

Actually, with CUPS 1.2 you can write a small driver interface
program that provides enumeration and generation of the PPD files
from your XML database.  I expect we'll be able to do something
similar with future Gutenprint releases as well (basically the
"genppd" program will become a CUPS driver interface program)

> - Use the CUPS PPDs of Gutenprint, they integrate better with CUPS and
>   colors can be adjusted with the "cups-calibrate" command.

Correct, plus we'll be able to take advantage of the new driver
interface as well (== smaller distributions :)

> - Use ESP GhostScript to have the "cups" and the "ijs" devices and as
>   many of the compiled-in drivers as possible (for example for Epson
>   AcuLaser and EPL non-L).

and the new vector driver from the folks in Japan, too! :)

>>     3. Manage distribution-specific details (i.e. Firewall
>>        and other security features) for the user.  Right now
>>        only SuSE seems to have any checks in place for iptables
>>        and SELinux will only increase the chances that certain
>>        printing-related features don't work as expected.  ALL
>>        security features need to be easy to use and not get in
>>        the way of users, otherwise they will just turn them
>>        completely off or choose another platform/distro.
>>
>> Now, my wish list isn't just applicable to printing.  I have problems
>> on my laptop connecting my digital cameras - the permissions on the
>> USB device files don't allow a mere mortal user to access the
>> camera, so I have to chmod the files after connecting every time.
>> I'm sure there is a configuration file I can tweak to fix this, but
>> the point is, I shouldn't have to!
>>

> On Mandriva (and probably also on SuSE) digital cameras are no problem,
> both USB mass storage and PTP/proprietary (Canon, ...) to be accessed
> via GPhoto2. In both cases udev triggers a script to auto-set
> permissions and to auto-mount the camera's file system (or open
> Konqueror with "camera:/..." URI).

Unfortunately, not all distros do this, and it is of no use to me
since I use flPhoto... ;)