[Desktop_architects] Presentation slides - with attached templates

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Dec 7 06:12:30 PST 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:

> and I'd bet it was a TrueType font that caused the printer to run
> out of memory and abort...
>
> In any case, using the Ghostscript pswrite device is almost certainly
> not the right thing to do, as you'll lose all of the printer-specific
> command stuff and introduce other rendering artifacts.  Instead, one
> of the many PCL drivers (the PCL 6/XL driver if the printer supports
> it) should be used instead, as the output quality is better and will
> print faster.

As Ricoh and partners sell their printers both as PCL/PostScript and
PCL-only, there are Ricoh-supplied PPDs for both PostScript and PCL-XL,
both versions supporting all functionality of the devices. The PCL PPDs
are based in the "pxlmomo" GhostScript driver and use PJL for special
functions. So one could create an extra PCL queue for cases of
PostScript failure.

For other brands one can use a generic PCL-XL driver based in the
"pxlmono" or "pxlcolor" GhostScript drivers, but one looses the extra
functions of the printer then (but better than the printout not coming
out at all).

    Till