[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux DesktopIntegrationInterface

Steve Northover Steve_Northover at ca.ibm.com
Mon Dec 5 12:39:47 PST 2005

>   It would be easy, but then it wouldn't be Linux.

Don't let them quote you on that!

Steve

George Staikos <staikos at kde.org>
Sent by: desktop_architects-bounces at lists.osdl.org
12/05/2005 03:19 PM

desktop_architects at lists.osdl.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Desktop_architects] Portland: The  Linux DesktopIntegrationInterface

On Monday 05 December 2005 15:15, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Brooks, Phil wrote:
> > I agree with you that the library or widget set is not the issue.  The
> > issue is that by choosing a library or widget set, I also dictate my
> > customer's environment. ISVs are very reluctant to dictate
environments
> > to their customers because they get very mad at us when we do.
>
> As an "old" ISV, we've had problems even back when there was "one true
> toolkit" (Motif), as Sun would make incompatible changes to their Motif
> distribution that broke custom widgets.
>
> As an ISV, our GUI toolkit requirements include:
>
>      1. Stable API
>      2. Native (or similar) look-n-feel
>      3. Basic UI widgets - buttons, lists, tabs, menus
>      4. Ability to develop custom widgets
>      5. Unicode support
>      6. Static linking or stable, vendor-supplied shared libraries
>      7. Cross platform (UNIX/Linux, MacOS X, Windows)
>      8. Smaller is better
>      9. License should allow for binary-only distribution.
>
> We've looked at using KDE/Qt and GNOME/GTK+, but neither provides 6,
> 7, or 8 on our list.

   Qt provides 6 and 7.  KDE libraries do not yet provide either.  GTK+
provides 6 last I checked, and a bit of 7.

> KDE/Qt doesn't allow binary distribution (9)
> unless you buy a license from Trolltech...

   Specifically, GPL-incompatible binary distribution.  You can write GPL
compatible code and distribute binaries for it.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer