[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux Desktop IntegrationInterface

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Dec 5 02:22:35 PST 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 23:01, Brooks, Phil wrote:
> I wonder if it would be possible, from both a marketing viewpoint, and a
> technical viewpoint, to remove the widget set preference for the desktops
> as far as hosted ISV applications are concerned.

this is not a widget set problem, but a desktop services issue. i understand
how ISVs can get this confused due to how clearly we communicate the design
of things to them ;) but it really has nothing to do with widget sets.

so how do we address the issue of desktop service commonality? here's what i
would suggest:

	- normalize implementations of desktop services via FreeDesktop.org
	- get Project Portland rolling to allow access to these services without
requiring ISVs to use a specific toolkit

we need to do both because even if KDE and GNOME do get our ducks in a row via
FreeDesktop.org, there are still N other ways to write software that runs on
open source desktops and Project Portland helps those people. as Project
Portland helps address that issue, we need the FreeDesktop.org efforts to
create consistency for the ISV's users.

i believe this was reflected in the conversations and outcomes of last week's
DA meeting. please correct anything that is off base here =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo