[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux Desktop IntegrationInterface

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Dec 5 02:06:16 PST 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 23:54, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Brooks, Phil <phil_brooks at mentor.com> wrote:
> For instance, both could move to DBUS for their local RPC layer. cf.
> http://lwn.net/Articles/99279/ and
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=109646893512881&w=2

we (KDE) discussed this at our yearly dev conference (our version of an AGM),
and coming out of those discussions DBUS adoption is on our roadmap for KDE4.

the next step after that will be defining and agreeing on services that
utilize DBUS. this is work for the FreeDesktop arena ...

> Also, both could use a common event loop, cf.
> http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/common_main_loop/
>
> There appears to be still some resistance to both ideas, but as an outsider
> it seems likely both will go forward.

the reason there is resistence to the event loop patch you linked to is not
because there is anything to be gained by having different event loops but
because it is, as norbert has done it, implemented in a fashion that is
simply not appropriate for official adoption.

what we need is a simple, abstracted, zero dependency event loop that anyone
can use. the glib event loop has a good design, but it pulls in more than
makes sense for an event loop.

writing the few hundred lines of code for such an event loop is horridly
boring however, which is probably why it hasn't been done yet =) i think this
would be a great project for someone such as Intel or IBM to undertake,
actually.

FWIW, people from Trolltech have expressed interest and support for such an
event loop.

> How close that will get us to what you want, I couldn't say, but
> it can't hurt.

it gets us closer. that's all that matters =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo