His family." "I'm glad to hear you say it," declared Peter, n

Akana Proehl archaised at tp.co.th
Thu Jan 14 04:17:38 PST 2010

 weather is. He is the friend of everyone and seems to feel that
everyone is his friend. "I've noticed," said Peter, "that birds who do
not sing at any other time of year sing in the spring. Do you have a
spring song, Tommy Tit?" "Well, I don't know as you would call it a
song, Peter," chuckled Tommy. "No, I hardly think you would call it a
song. But I have a little love call then which goes like this: Phoe-be!
Phoe-be!" It was the softest, sweetest little whistle, and Tommy had
rightly called it a love call. "Why, I've often heard that in the spring
and didn't know it was your voice at all," cried Peter. "You say Phoebe
plainer than does the bird who is named Phoebe, and it is ever so much
softer and sweeter. I guess that is because you whistle it." "I guess
you guess right," replied Tommy Tit. "Now I can't stop to talk any
longer. These trees need my attention. I want Farmer Brown's boy to feel
that I have earned that suet I am sure he will put out for me as soon as
the snow and ice come. I'm not the least bit afraid of Farmer Brown's
boy. I had just as soon take food from his hand as from anywhere else.
He knows I like chopped-up nut-meats, and last winter I used to feed
from his hand every day." Peter's eyes opened very wide with surprise.
"Do you mean to say," said he, "that you and Farmer Brown's boy are such
friends that you dare sit on his hand?" Tommy Tit nodded his little
black-capped head vigorously. "Certainly," said he. "Why not? What's the
good of having frien