IO scheduler based IO controller V10

Takuya Yoshikawa yoshikawa.takuya at oss.ntt.co.jp
Tue Sep 29 03:49:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

Ryo Tsuruta wrote:
> Hi Vivek and all,
>
> Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 05:37:28PM -0700, Nauman Rafique wrote:
>
>>> We are starting from a point where there is no cgroup based IO
>>> scheduling in the kernel. And it is probably not reasonable to satisfy
>>> all IO scheduling related requirements in one patch set. We can start
>>> with something simple, and build on top of that. So a very simple
>>> patch set that enables cgroup based proportional scheduling for CFQ
>>> seems like the way to go at this point.
>> Sure, we can start with CFQ only. But a bigger question we need to answer
>> is that is CFQ the right place to solve the issue? Jens, do you think
>> that CFQ is the right place to solve the problem?
>>
>> Andrew seems to favor a high level approach so that IO schedulers are less
>> complex and we can provide fairness at high level logical devices also.
>
> I'm not in favor of expansion of CFQ, because some enterprise storages
> are better performed with NOOP rather than CFQ, and I think bandwidth
> control is needed much more for such storage system. Is it easy to
> support other IO schedulers even if a new IO scheduler is introduced?
> I would like to know a bit more specific about Namuman's scheduler design.

Nauman said "cgroup based proportional scheduling for CFQ" and we need not
expand much of CFQ itself, is it right Nauman?

If so, we can reuse the io controller for new schedulers similar to CFQ.

I do not know well about how much important is it to consider which scheduler
is the current enterprise storages' favarite.
If we introduce an io controller, io pattern to disks will change,
in that case there is no guarantee that NOOP with some io controller
should work better than CFQ with some io controller.

Of course io controller for NOOP may be better.

Thanks,
Takuya Yoshikawa