IO scheduler based IO controller V10

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 08:04:31 PDT 2009

Ryo Tsuruta wrote:

> Because dm-ioband provides faireness in terms of how many IO requests
> are issued or how many bytes are transferred, so this behaviour is to
> be expected. Do you think fairness in terms of IO requests and size is
> not fair?

When there are two workloads competing for the same
resources, I would expect each of the workloads to
run at about 50% of the speed at which it would run
on an uncontended system.

Having one of the workloads run at 95% of the
uncontended speed and the other workload at 5%
is "not fair" (to put it diplomatically).

--
All rights reversed.