restart (mktree) program usage

Cedric Le Goater legoater at free.fr
Thu Sep 17 23:58:54 PDT 2009

On 09/17/2009 03:35 AM, Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
> Oren Laadan [orenl at librato.com] wrote:
> |

> | Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
> | > I have a usage question on the 'restart' (formerly mktree) program.
> | >
> | > In the following container c/r case:
> | >
> | > 	- create a container
> | > 	- log in to the container,
> | > 	- restore filesystem(s) from snapshot
> | > 	- restart application from checkpoint
> |
> | FWIW, I'd expect that future versions of 'restart' will be capable
> | of doing this entire setup, (filesystem(s) included), as it matures.
> |
> | Note that this use case that you suggest will only work to restart
> | subtrees; it is unsuitable for full containers (with pids) because
> | the pid of init (1) will already be in use.
>
> True. But if originally the application was started as:
>
> 	Create container
> 	Login to contaienr
> 	Set up filesystem
> 	Start application

You should take a look at lxc, which is doing what you want.

Metacluster (IBM's proprietary C/R solution) is fully integrated with lxc
containers and the current lxc development plans focus on externalizing
some home made C/R plugins we've been doing for it. We should then spend
some time on blcr.

And we expect you guys to work on oren's patchset ? but I guess that will
all depend on how 'proprietary' is mktree, by 'proprietary' I mean
dependent on the kernel patch.

Cheers,

C.