[lxc-devel] BUG in tty_open when using containers and ptrace

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Jul 23 01:04:14 PDT 2009

Grzegorz Nosek wrote:

> 2.6.27 is good, 2.6.28 is bad. Some 600-odd revisions still to go (will
> continue in the evening).
>

>> Interesting... I have to say I'm more than a bit surprised that you can
>> mount a filesystem on top of a character device node at all, but there
>> isn't really a fundamental reason why you couldn't do it, so...
>>

> Actually it's mounting a device node over a device node. I was really
> surprised when I learnt that you can mount --bind other things than
> directories but thought it could be the closest a container can get to a
> real console. So mounting /dev/pts/0 over /dev/console seemed quite
> natural to me.

Absolutely and this is how is done the console / tty management in liblxc.
Bind mounting is very powerful when it is used with the mount namespace
because you can have multiple processes in different mount namespaces
accessing the same path but with different real locations : a perfect
feature for the containers :)

  -- Daniel