RFC: Attaching threads to cgroups is OK?

Hirokazu Takahashi taka at valinux.co.jp
Mon Sep 8 04:52:14 PDT 2008

Hello,

> Hi both,
>
> Fernando is off this week, so may not be able to reply soon, sorry.
>
> Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 09:00:17PM +0900, Hirokazu Takahashi wrote:
> >> Hi, fernando,

> >> When I started to implement this, I would make each bio have two
> >> io_contexts -- per-process io_context which had ionice and
> >> and per-cgroup io_context.
> >>

> I am also trying to make bios have pointers to io_contexts and I have a
> question concerning this, very simple one.
>
> Is it OK to think bio->bi_io_context is a cache to find the io_context
> of an appropriate task, an issuer of this bio, which may sometimes not be
> the direct one, e.g. stacking devices case.
>
> If so, is it same if we make bios have pointers to the issuers, tasks or
> cgroups, of them and then find the io_contexts through these?

No, I don't think it is always possible. The issuers may not exist when
an io-scheduler or other modules start to handle the I/O requests.
I know you can make linux kernel preserve all the context of the issuers
until all the I/O requests belonging to them have finished, but it may
lead waste of resources.

I think this is the reason why io_context was introduced.