nets: status of sysfs with netns

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Tue Mar 18 10:01:23 PDT 2008

Pavel Emelyanov <xemul at openvz.org> writes:

> Benjamin Thery wrote:
>> Eric, Pavel,
>>
>> I haven't followed everything about the sysfs/netns issue recently and I
>> think I have missed some of its recent developments in the past weeks.
>> So I'm wondering what is the current status? Is anyone still working on it?
>
> I'm thinking on it, but have no graceful solution :( Sysfs is a big...
> no - HUUUUUUUUUUGE problem.
>
>> As several netns patches for IPv4 and IPv6 have already been merged in
>> net-2.6.26, it would be great to have the sysfs part also to help people
>> who want test netns.
>> Right now, it is a pain to boot and test a system with CONFIG_SYSFS=n.
>>
>> (I know the problem is not trivial and won't be easy to solve. I just
>> want to be sure it is not forgotten)
>
> It is (unfortunately) not.
>
>> Pavel, I've heard you sent (or have) a patch that prevents sysfs access
>> from a "child" netns. A patch that can be a good workaround until we
>> have the full thing ready. I can't find it in mailing lists archives,
>> can you give some hints about where to find it? :)
>
> Hm. I haven't had plans to do such things actually.
>
>> Thanks a lot.

Sorry guys.  I think my initial reply got lost.

Currently my approach was approved in code review.  The only hold up
seems to be time, and gregkh getting overloaded and dropping the
patches, for the Nth time.

So I need to resend.  I won't for a week or two because I am right in
the middle of moving.

Sorry I thought I had replied to the earlier question of status with
this but is seems that message got lost somewhere in the delivery
process.

Eric